Saturday, January 05, 2013

New Year..... New Resolutions

Typically, this forms the first blog of the year. I struggled a bit to put thoughts through for this and hence it's taken a while. 

What's all this fuss about the New Year? Some arguements here - This is just like any other day of the year. There is a 1st to every month. Nothing really changes just coz it's the New Year.....all of which is true.

However, looking at the other aspect, it's a way of seeing things with a different angle.
The New Year gives you a reason to start fresh, it's like a Blank Canvas to do things you always wanted to, to plan for things that you have been meaning to, to connect with people you always liked to and to make those resolutions, small or big during this time. It's like getting a second chance, a re-take.

I was there when I said I don't make any resolutions, also used cliche's like my resolution for the year is to not make any - all of which I look back and think I was so silly.

While the hubby is planning for bigger things for a better life, I make my little plans for simple things and small joys in life.
This year I made a few resolutions. I am planning to pen a few here, I'll keep some to myself and some others are too embarrassing to publish here.
The idea of publishing it probably keeps me at a better check.....will get to know in a year's time.
So...here we go....
  • Try something again- I want to grow plants and NOT kill them. My aim is to maintain atleast 5 pot plants which I hope will nourish under my care.
  • Stay Fit- I still detest going to the gym, however the weather being cold I have stopped doing my runs too. The aim is to do some kind of exercise at least 2 times in the week ( tempted to say 3, but thats the start of things going downhill).
  • Better planning - this is a wide topic. To start with its planning holidays, planning for activities during the  weekend,  planning my time when I go home- If someone asks me what I did when I last visited home, I dont have much to say - I want to change that.
  • Learn something New - I want to learn how to play a musical instrument. The plan is to learn how to play 5 known tunes on it.
  • Do something for someone - Run a 10K -at least 1 for a charity.
  • Do something you like- Write more- at least 2 blogs per month. 
  • Get out of the comfort zone - The Journal - This is a little project I took on myself last year but left it mid way ( like most other things). It's my collection of notes about life and living in London- need to atleast complete 10 chapters this year.
  • Keep the Faith - Visit Subramanya - my most favourite temple on Earth and haven't visited it in more than 5 years. I hope I can manage a visit this time.
  • Keep the Culture - Celebrate at least 2 festivals this year in a simple way. 
  • Set a goal - 100kms in 100days - let's see!
  • Give up something - Alcohol free Month - 2 months....come on that shouldn't be hard! 

I could have made this list anytime,any day, any month, any year,but somehow it seems to have a better impact at this time of the year. So...hoping for little achievements in my simple life and wishing all a very very Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment